This post may contain affiliate links for products I recommend, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This does not change the price you would pay.
We, me and my baby cat, are living in a really small apartment.
I have planned to get a cat tree a long time ago and I have finally done it!
The picture on the left is what I got my baby – right next to a window for her to enjoy the view.
So here is my experience and research on how to find the best cat tree for a small apartment.
What Kind Of Cat Tree Should I Get For A Small Apartment?
This was the first question on my mind since I needed a cat tree that would fit the small space I lived in.
I already had almost all corners taken up by furniture so I really needed something that would save the space but still be satisfying for my cat.
Whoever owns a small apartment knows that the first rule for saving space is: go vertical . So this rule should be the first one to apply for a cat tree: make it tall and skinny.
Another thing to be careful about is the cat tree stability. Since it will go vertical you need to have a strong basis to support the vertical structure.
I made a mistake of overlooking the stability so I put a heavy door stopper on the basis – in fear of the tree falling. I had it custom made and it was an order from a different city so I could not try it before buying.
However, stability should not be a problem with a professionally made cat tree. This was a mistake of mine. I didn’t know if my cat would like the cat tree and this cat tree was way cheaper than the commercial ones.
I would also suggest you pick a cat tree that is white or light-colored – one of the rules for small apartments is that bright colors enhance the space.
Overall I am satisfied with my cat tree, but the structure is wobbly so I had to put it next to a wall. If I had to buy it again however I think that I would go with the more expensive, commercial ones. At least they are designed by engineers to be stable.
So after my happy-unhappy purchase, I went on a search for a good cat tree for small apartments and I found some really great ones that I gathered below so check them out.
A quick update: she loves the cat tree so much and she uses it every single day.
Compact Cat Tree
When you have a small apartment what you need is a cat tree that has it all: a scratching post, a secluded place to sleep and a leveled up launcher – and all that needs to take as little space as possible.
I’ve been searching probably for hours until I came to a stop to this beautiful cat tree. It is perfect for a small apartment cat owner! It even has a hanging ball for play and I love the cute paw detail on the base 🙂
So what you see here is a multifunctional cat tree / cat condo / scratch post combination that is very cleverly put together. Here are the things that I think are done best with this cat tree:
- The top bed is big enough to suit any cat, this was definitely one of my main concerns when choosing a cat tree
- It is very stable, here is the proof
- The height is good enough to give the cat a view through the window but not distract the owner’s view
- Very easy to assemble, as this customer says (image included)
The whole cat tree is covered in soft plush and the colors are perfect – neutral and appropriate for a small space.
As dimensions are very important here they are: 15.75 inches L x 15.75 inches D x 23.23 inches H
Overall it’s a lovely little cat tree that will fit a small apartment perfectly well.
Tall Cat Window Tree
I have checked some window perches for cats and on one ( a very popular one btw) I have found a warning to make sure that the window can support the additional weight! Now that is a scary prospect if you ask me.
With this tall cat tree glued to a window, the possibility of something going wrong with the window is zero – the majority of the weight of the cat and the top shelf is supported by the pole.
Oh and check the how small the base of this cat tree is – only 16 inches by 12 inches, one of the smallest bases I have seen.
Space Saving Cat Tree – This One Folds For Easy Storage!
The most important thing about this cat tree is that you can fold it and store it when you need it. Like when you have guests coming and there is not much space in your apartment, this folding cat tree will give some extra space.
You can put it somewhere where you frequently need to remove it, like in front of a door which you sporadically use.
If you lack space in your home but you still want to do something nice for your cat then this is the perfect solution.
The cat tree has various parts designed to give your cat maximum joy:
- a hammock at the top will enable your cat to lounge and sleep on it comfortably
- the bottom condo will give your cat a hiding and feel-safe space for her to rest
- the scratching part made of natural sisal will give those paws a great feeling
- two hanging balls to keep your cat entertained
The hammock, condo and the balls are made of soft plush. I think all cat lovers like having soft and plush things around their home so this will match perfectly.
Inside the condo there is a removable cushion for washing so your cat can feel fresh and clean all the time.
Dimensions: 20.25 L x 13.75 W x 25.5 H inches
As you can see this cat tree is very versatile and compact made – plus it is foldable. I honestly think this is one of the best cat tree for small spaces.
Cat Tree With Small Footprint
This cute little cat tree has everything a cat tree should have: scratching posts and this is a must-have when you have a cat at home, playing ball and a cozy hammock on the top. And on top of it it doesn’t take much space. It is really on the small side cat tree but still packed with all the necessities.
I love that it is in a neutral beige color, this is the perfect color for small apartments.
The top hammock is made of rich plush material so your cat can dive into this softness with pleasure. It also has a metal rim added for stability so it can hold even large cats.
The scratching posts are made of natural sisal – this is guaranteed that your cat will love it.
One really good looking and practical cat tree that will fit great in small spaces. You can see how it leaves the space open – simply perfect for small spaces.
Cat Shelves With Plants
This product has so many benefits that it is crazy and it looks absolutely awesome. It’s something that both you and your cat will enjoy: visually it is so attractive and provides great aesthetic pleasure and it is also very practical at the same time. It is also quite unique so if you like to impress your guests then this structure is very worth getting :).
It looks so sophisticated and tasteful, a great addition to any home: both small and big. I find it particularly suitable for small apartments (my obsessions as I live in one) as it will save so much space and provide everything a cat needs plus the addition of a wall garden.
Here is what you get included in this wall cat garden:
- What you see is what you get, including pots for the holes. This makes it so much easier for planting it right away, instead of running around trying to find the right pot size – no plants included though, which is also ok as they will be your own choice. If your cat has problems eating on the ground this is a perfect solution because you can replace pots with feeding bowls.
- The design is so carefully created that the shelves look as if floating. The mounting system is specially invented by this company and awaits patent. Basically this means the mounting hardware is hidden which enables a sleek look.
- The structure is made of bamboo which is one of the best building materials in the world. First of all, it is natural which means it is very durable and strong. It is also water-resistant so if you wish you could install this wall cat gym outdoors!
- Easy maintenance – the cloth between the shelves can be removed and washed and the shelves can be just wiped out for dust.
- Modular design – you can arrange the elements, as they are separately mounted, according to your wish and taste to best match your home.
- All in one structure – it simply has everything for your cat: a wall-mounted cat tree, height – which all cats love, a scratching post, resting hammock, shelves to jump on and also very important a cat gym to exercise. A complete product to save you the hassle of looking for all these separate things.
You can plant cat grass in one of those pots so that your cat’s enjoyment is even more amplified 🙂
Installation of this cat jungle gym on wall:
- A lot of the reviews said a stud finder is good to have during the installation
- Recommended hardware for concrete walls
- It seems the installation depends on one’s abilities, there were some people finding it hard to install and some not hard at all, like this customer here. But all agreed that once it is done it brings great satisfaction and all cats love it. If you are not sure you can always hire someone to do it.
- You can always go with your own pace as people explained here – this made me laugh
Space Saver Cat Tree
As you can see this door cat tree will almost take no space at all, I mean you can’t really use the space around doors to put stuff right? So it is perfectly used space where it seems impossible to use space.
Besides hanging it on a door people have also used it as wall-mounted cat tree. Either way it will save you space. One customer said they moved the cat tree from time to time to different door and it gave their cats a whole new adventure each time. I think this is a very good idea as an indoor cat needs different activities as much as possible.
A cat can use this unique cat tree for:
- climbing: cats love to climb on trees and this cat tree will mimic a natural tree for an indoor cat
- sleeping: the shelves are comfortable for a cat to sit and watch or take a nap
- scratching: the vertical part of the tree is made of natural sisal which is perfect for sharpening those claws
- playing: you can put a few toys on the top and let your cat find them
This cat tree will feet any door that is 79 to 82 inches high. It has 4 levels shelves and is made from wood which means it will be durable. You attach it to the door with a spring bracket system.
A thing to notice is that many customers actually made enhancements for the initial structure like: add wine corks on the side of the shelves for keeping it quiet, moving shelves away from the center for enabling cats to go down more easily. But all cats loved this cat door – no complaints from this side!
I think it’s a product worth considering if you have a cat living in a small space and you want to give it some extra fun and entertainment.
Tall Skinny Cat Tree
First thing, this floor to ceiling cat tree comes in a lighter color – I just chose this image so you can get a feel of its dimensions regarding human or cat. Black would be my last choice for a small space as it will visually close the space.
The most important thing probably is the fact that this cat tree fits ceilings up to 9 feet tall. The description states that for the assembly no tool is required. This is good to know – especially if you are a female trying to assess if you can assemble it yourself.
The surface of this tree is carpeted, which is awesome if you like being surrounded by smooth and soft things like I do.
This will give your cat so much joy and a great time. Cats love trees and climbing on them and this cat structure will serve as an indoor tree. For indoor cats only this will be pure heaven to jump up and down on it.
The most important thing is that it really requires minimum space so this feature makes it a perfect choice for a cat tree in small space.
Floor To Ceiling Cat Tree Tower
This may or may not be suitable for small apartments – it really depends on the apartment itself and its organization. I still decided to include it as if you have an unused small space for some part of your walls then this might be the perfect solution. It is good for situations when you have unused space:
- between the couch and the window
- between a mirror on the wall and a door
- between a working table and a wardrobe
Measurements are extremely important: this cat tower is 26 inches wide. There is a good image with measurements on the Amazon site so if you are interested go check them.
Together with this cat tower you will receive instructions on how to install it so just follow them and there should be no problems.
The tower has 4 adjustable cat shelves and a hammock on the top. The cat shelves are not very wide so are not very suitable for sleeping but customers said the top hammock fits perfectly even a large cat.
The construction is very stable and sturdy if you tighten everything right. It will offer great height adventure for your cat – something cats absolutely love. The top hammock will give your cat a perfect spot for watching or sleeping.
Overall this cat tower does not take too much space and imitates high tree branches in nature so it will make your cat feel more “at home” in your home :).
No Room For A Cat Tree? – Get A Window Cat Hammock
So this is like a cat tree without the base and your cat will absolutely love it. It has the perfect position for watching the outside world – and in a small apartment this is very important. You will be adding a new way of entertaining your cat – one that never gets old.
- What Kind Of Cat Tree Should I Get For A Small Apartment?
- Compact Cat Tree
- Tall Cat Window Tree
- Space Saving Cat Tree – This One Folds For Easy Storage!
- Cat Tree With Small Footprint
- Cat Shelves With Plants
- Space Saver Cat Tree
- Tall Skinny Cat Tree
- Floor To Ceiling Cat Tree Tower
- No Room For A Cat Tree? – Get A Window Cat Hammock