This post may contain affiliate links for products I recommend, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This does not change the price you would pay.
When having a cat it is always a challenge to find cat proof furniture, something that will both look good and resist your cat’s claws, cat hair, and ideally, be waterproof. In one word, this type of furniture should be resistant to all the damage a cat may inflict on it.
A cat proof bean bag chair is particularly challenging to find as these bags are filled with EPS (expanded polystyrene) beans and it is extremely important that the cover remains unscratched, as otherwise the beans might spill out and the bag may become unusable.
Besides the damage that a single scratch can pose to a bean bag chair, another even more concerning threat is the fact that the styrofoam beans may be swallowed by your cat, becoming a serious health hazard to your cat.
So as you can see you have to pay special attention to the outer cover and choose a very durable and heavy-duty one.
In addition to being cat resistant, the bean bag chair cover should also be washable and easily removed. We all know how living with pets requires constant cleaning, almost as if you are living with kids (and if you are, well then cleaning is super important to you).
Besides having all the characteristics listed above, your bean bag chair should be stylish and comfortable. Luckily, bean bags have become so popular that there is a variety of them in terms of color, shape or texture, so you can choose the best one for yourself.
To help you choose right and fast, I have created a small selection of cat proof bean bag chairs with a short explanation for each on why they would fit a cat owner perfectly.
Microfiber As One Of The Best Cat Proof Materials
Cat owners should be really happy that microfiber is invented as it is the perfect cat-proof material. On top of being cat-resistant, microfiber also looks and feels great. Below is a quick introduction to this beautiful and practical material and all its benefits but if you want to learn more about this awesome material here is a full description.
So microfiber is a man-made, synthetic material, made of either polyester, nylon or combining both.
If you check out all the excellent characteristics it has, presented in this list, I bet you are going to fall in love with this material (it is the most used material in my home and both I and my cat love it):
- Durability: Microfiber is a strong and durable fabric(retype), which is why it is often used as a furniture cover. It endures a lot of wear and tear and will last a long time before you need to replace it. Perfect for furniture that you often use and for a home with pets.
- Softness: Microfiber has a very soft and plush feel, making it perfect for cat lovers. I mean what cat owner wouldn’t love a soft covering material in the home? People with cats love soft and warm things and that is exactly what microfiber is.
- Stain resistance: microfiber that is used for furniture is designed to repel liquids, which results in difficulty to stain it. This is really great for pet owners dealing with dirty paws or various pet (or kids) accidents.
- Claw resistant: microfiber does not help cats with trimming their nails as it has a smooth surface and a tight weave and that is why your cat won’t be attracted to scratching it. So it may not be exactly claw resistant in the true meaning of the word but more likely your cat won’t even try clawing it, which is even better for preserving it.
- Easy maintenance: microfiber is generally easy to clean, you can use a damp cloth or vacuum, and it can be spot cleaned and put in a washing machine, which makes it perfect for people living with pets – or kids.
- Hypoallergenic: this means it is good for people that are sensitive health-wise or are prone to allergies.
- Versatility: this material can be used for many things in the home, ranging from furniture to pet products and what I love most – microfiber blankets. It is made in a wide palette of colors and styles, which allows you can find your perfect match.
- Affordable: on top of all the wonderful features, microfiber is inexpensive and most cat owners can afford it without breaking the budget.
Scratch Resistant Bean Bag Chair With Microfiber Cover
The cover of this bean bag chair is microfiber which is exactly what a house with a cat needs. The cover is soft, warm, thick, very comfortable, durable, and made with great quality. Reviewers have also described it as heavy-duty.
Here is proof of how durable is the microfiber cover of this bean bag for pets (picture included).
It comes in different sizes and colors, but when considering size please note that people have said even the “small” 4′ is big (some even say huge) so it runs on the bigger side. I have chosen to display here the 5′ one as I would choose this one for myself, but do check the other sizes. There is also a 7′ lounger which looks very attractive, so depending on how much free space you have, you may choose that one.
It’s versatile: this bean bag is a perfect place for naps, relaxing, watching movies, gaming, and reading a book – in one word there are many ways that you can enjoy it. Many have stated that they love sleeping in it because it is so comfortable and soft, heaven-like. You can even put it in your home office for creativity boosting. Perfect for additional casual seating.
Your cat will also enjoy this bean bag very much, it will make your cat very happy or in some cases even obsessed with the bean bag. So this cat-resistant bean bag doubles as a cat bed too, check this hilarious situation with an image included 🙂
It’s perfect for pets and kids, and especially for those that are restless as the bean bag will customize according to the individual using it. It is definitely one of the most comfortable pieces of furniture that you can have at home.
Important: when the bag arrives it will be compressed, and it is crucial that you read and follow the instructions, the bag will need 4-5 days to expand the memory foam inside and you should not use it during this time if you want to have the full fluffiness of it.
Here are some tips that would be helpful if you decide to get this bean bag:
- It will arrive in a package as a compressed cube, which, once opened, will start to expand quickly, so before opening the package get it to its final destination and then open it
- It’s best that you rearrange it and re-fluff it from time to time to reshape it if it’s worn down from the same sitting position
- The bag has double zippers for maximum stability and safety reasons, the first one has a pull, and the second does not but you can use a paperclip to easily open the second one
- The box and the bean bag itself are heavy and the cover does not have handles – so be aware of this fact
And here are the flaws of this bean bag:
- The biggest inconvenience, especially for pet owners is that there is no inner bag to contain the memory foam, which means it will be difficult to remove and wash the microfiber cover due to the inner beans spilling out of the main cover. But there is a solution for that: you can get a separate bag to put the foam pieces in, some people have bought an additional twin mattress waterproof enclosed cover (this is a cheap one) or a zippered duvet cover.
- The cover is not waterproof but you can use the above solution for getting a waterproof mattress cover. Another thing you can do is put an extra waterproof blanket for cats on top of the bean bag.
Overall people have been very satisfied with this oversized cat-proof bean bag, it is comfy, and looks nice, and considering all the benefits and the affordable price I would highly recommend it for people with cats.
If you hesitate here is the experience of someone who was just like you and how it is worth the price.
Pet-Friendly Bean Bag Chair (Big Joe)
This bean bag chair is from the brand Big Joe, which is famous for its comfortable bean bag chairs. These chairs are affordable, stylish and versatile which makes them a great choice for any home.
The cover of this bean bag is made of plush (the link is a short informative read from Wikipedia).
I must say, as a cat owner myself, I love plush. Almost all my blankets and covers are made of plush or velvet (I often mix these 2 materials) and I have had zero problems with my cat scratching or damaging them. On the contrary, my cat loves plush as much as I do, she sleeps every day on my plush blankets.
Plush is SO soft, warm, and cozy, and on top of it, looks very luxurious and stylish.
One of the reasons cats love plush is that it imitates fur surface so I guess they must feel like little kittens sleeping on their mom – which is always a good feeling 🙂 The main point is that cats are naturally not attracted to scratching plush surfaces. This is because of the smooth surface which does not help them trim their nails.
Plush materials today are generally made of synthetic fibers like polyester, although natural materials like cotton or wool can also be used. You would think natural materials are better, and generally, they are, but if you have a pet at home, polyester would be more pet-friendly in terms of durability and ability to stretch.
Polyester is a synthetic material whose main characteristics are:
- high strength and durability
- machine washable and dryable, which means easy maintenance
- does not shrink or wrinkle (if you don’t like ironing like me this is heaven)
- resistant to fading and staining, meaning it is great for heavy use and this is exactly what a pet owner would need
Below I have gathered a summary of user reviews so that you have a better understanding of the pros and cons of this bean bag chair:
Since you are a cat (or dog) owner, it would be most beneficial if you could waterproof your bean bag. Most bean bags are not designed to be waterproof but you can easily fix this by covering the bean bag with a waterproof blanket for cats.
I am including separate bean bag refill that you can get, as depending on your preferences you may want an extra filling, the experiences on this are divided, some wanted an extra refill while others are satisfied with the initial filling of the bean bags:
Greetings from my plush queen 🙂