This post may contain affiliate links for products I recommend, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This does not change the price you would pay.
When having a cat it is always a challenge to find cat proof furniture, something that will both look good and resist your cat’s claws, cat hair, and ideally, be waterproof. In one word, this type of furniture should be resistant to all the damage a cat may inflict on it.
A cat proof bean bag chair is particularly challenging to find as these bags are filled with EPS (expanded polystyrene) beans and it is extremely important that the cover remains unscratched, as otherwise the beans might spill out and the bag may become unusable.
Besides the damage that a single scratch can pose to a bean bag chair, another even more concerning threat is the fact that the styrofoam beans may be swallowed by your cat, becoming a serious health hazard to your cat.
So as you can see you have to pay special attention to the outer cover and choose a very durable and heavy-duty one.
In addition to being cat resistant, the bean bag chair cover should also be washable and easily removed. We all know how living with pets requires constant cleaning, almost as if you are living with kids (and if you are, well then cleaning is super important to you).
Besides having all the characteristics listed above, your bean bag chair should be stylish and comfortable. Luckily, bean bags have become so popular that there is a variety of them in terms of color, shape or texture, so you can choose the best one for yourself.
To help you choose right and fast, I have created a small selection of cat proof bean bag chairs with a short explanation for each on why they would fit a cat owner perfectly.
As the content can be a bit long to read, if you are in a hurry, for a quick solution you can click the numbered links below for the best pet-resistant bean bags.
1. Pet-Friendly Bean Bag Chair With Plush Cover
The cover of this bean bag is made of plush (the link is a short informative read from Wikipedia).
I must say, as a cat owner myself, I love plush. Almost all my blankets and covers are made of plush or velvet (I often mix these 2 materials) and I have had zero problems with my cat scratching or damaging them. On the contrary, my cat loves plush as much as I do, she sleeps every day on my plush blankets.
Plush is SO soft, warm, and cozy, and on top of it, looks very luxurious and stylish.
One of the reasons cats love plush is that it imitates fur surface so I guess they must feel like little kittens sleeping on their mom – which is always a good feeling 🙂 The main point is that cats are naturally not attracted to scratching plush surfaces. This is because of the smooth surface which does not help them trim their nails.
Plush materials today are generally made of synthetic fibers like polyester, although natural materials like cotton or wool can also be used. You would think natural materials are better, and generally, they are, but if you have a pet at home, polyester would be more pet-friendly in terms of durability and ability to stretch.
Polyester is a synthetic material whose main characteristics are:
- high strength and durability
- machine washable and dryable, which means easy maintenance
- does not shrink or wrinkle (if you don’t like ironing like me this is heaven)
- resistant to fading and staining, meaning it is great for heavy use and this is exactly what a pet owner would need
Below I have gathered a summary of user reviews so that you have a better understanding of the pros and cons of this bean bag chair:
- First of all your cat may stop using the other cat beds and claim this bean bag as its own favorite spot for lounging – you have been warned 🙂 , luckily the bed is big enough to fit you and your cat comfortably on it (imagine the perfectness of this relaxing combination).
- The bean bag has been used by multiple cats, dogs, and humans, providing ample space for all of them
- The bean bag takes up a significant amount of space in the living room but is highly valued by everyone in the family, including the cats and the dogs (check the links, you’ll love the pictures)
- Very comfortable and soft, you might experience competition among family members, including the pets, to sit on it
- Great for gaming, napping, reading, watching movies and hanging out
- The cover is durable which is an important thing for cat owners
- The size is 5 foot, and as mentioned above, it can fit more than one person, some buyers were surprised by how big the bean bag actually is, but as stated here it fits well even in a small apartment
- Excellent for back pain as the foam adjusts individually and enables the best position for each body
- Suitable for long periods of use
- Someone mentioned that it is suitable for plus-size individuals
- Upon receiving it takes time to fluff up, but it may become the most comfortable spot in the house!
One disadvantage for people with pets or kids is that there is no inner lining which makes the washing process hard if not impossible, but there are workarounds for this: you can use mattress protectors / twin-sized mattress cover to contain the foam inside the bean bag chair for washing purposes or you can get an extra cover for the bean bag chair or a waterproof blanket for pets to cover the bean bag. (I would personally get the waterproof blanket it seems the least hassle).
Overall this is a great product, huge, comfortable and great looking, with surprisingly luxurious quality, at a very reasonable price, people and pets have truly loved it and there are numerous recommendations from satisfied users. It will give you lots of relaxation and will definitely endure in a home with cats.
Microsuede as Pet-Friendly Material
Microsuede is basically a synthetic imitation of real suede but this only brings positive sides to the material. It is made from very fine polyester fibers that are woven tightly together.
So real suede is a type of leather made from the underside of animals’ skin and is very soft. As a cat lover, I believe that any alternative to using animal products is preferred, and from a moral perspective this is one major point why microsuede is great for cat owners.
Here are all the great features that Microsuede offers:
- Feels very smooth on the skin and is an all-season material: cozy for winter and cool for summer
- Very easy to clean which makes it perfect for pets and kids
- High resistance to stains
- Cat claw proof: in a way that the surface is very smooth and it does not suit cats for grooming their nails so they prefer to nap on microsuede rather than scratching it
- Looks and feels luxurious but is more affordable than the natural version (and is animal cruelty-free)
2. Durable And Giant Microsuede Bean Bag For Cat Owners
First of all, this is one huge bean bag, and it will provide plenty of space for relaxation, so if you are looking for something big (it takes up a lot of space) then this is for you.
It’s a very comfortable and durable bean bag that is very suitable for pet owners or families with kids. Let me show you a quick selection of reviews with images, so that you can see how much people have used it together with their pets:
- Here is a review that explains how despite the dog and children frequently jumping on it, the bean bag has maintained its durability admirably, showing no signs of rips, tears, or scuffs – and there is a cat cuddled with the dog in the image
- Here is one very satisfied family – including the dogs and the cat
- In this one the cat has claimed its favorite spot (very cute)
- Cat approved!
People have described it as a great cuddling spot with the softest fabric ever. This makes me think how perfect this bean bag is for people that love cats – as we love cuddling with soft things 🙂
One extremely good thing about this bean bag chair is the removable microsuede cover. For people living with cats, dogs or kids this is so important as accidents happen and little paws get dirty so easily! Being able to wash the outer cover and its easy maintenance will enhance your joy of having a clean place to relax.
On top of this, you can also choose a cover variation that suits you the most, like your favorite color or a faux fur cover – which helps a lot with hiding cat hair (for some a big pet peeve).
Upon receiving the bag, as it will arrive compacted, it is crucial to wait at least 24 hours and up to 72 hours, for it to fluff up before using it. The assembly is very simple and easy, as the instructions say: “just unroll the prefilled liner and zip up the cover”. In plain words: put the cover on before the foam inflates.
The bean bag is described as very soft but still heavy and firm enough to hold shape, offering good support.
People have said that the material is warm, comfortable, and of high quality. The protective cover does a good job, and remains durable after washing and machine drying.
Another thing with this bean bag is that you can use it in 2 modes: in flat or chair mode, so you get a bed and a sitting chair in one product. If you like company then this bean bag can fit multiple people for lounging – or cats or dogs or kids.
Simply put this is a bean bag that will be loved by everyone – people or animals, it’s cat-proof, comfortable, huge, cheerful, and truly a good value for your money.
Microfiber As One Of The Best Cat Proof Materials
Cat owners should be really happy that microfiber is invented as it is the perfect cat-proof material. On top of being cat-resistant, microfiber also looks and feels great. Below is a quick introduction to this beautiful and practical material and all its benefits but if you want to learn more about this awesome material here is a full description.
So microfiber is a man-made, synthetic material, made of either polyester, nylon or combining both.
If you check out all the excellent characteristics it has, presented in this list, I bet you are going to fall in love with this material (it is the most used material in my home and both I and my cat love it):
- Durability: Microfiber is a strong and durable fabric(retype), which is why it is often used as a furniture cover. It endures a lot of wear and tear and will last a long time before you need to replace it. Perfect for furniture that you often use and for a home with pets.
- Softness: Microfiber has a very soft and plush feel, making it perfect for cat lovers. I mean what cat owner wouldn’t love a soft covering material in the home? People with cats love soft and warm things and that is exactly what microfiber is.
- Stain resistance: microfiber that is used for furniture is designed to repel liquids, which results in difficulty to stain it. This is really great for pet owners dealing with dirty paws or various pet (or kids) accidents.
- Claw resistant: microfiber does not help cats with trimming their nails as it has a smooth surface and a tight weave and that is why your cat won’t be attracted to scratching it. So it may not be exactly claw resistant in the true meaning of the word but more likely your cat won’t even try clawing it, which is even better for preserving it.
- Easy maintenance: microfiber is generally easy to clean, you can use a damp cloth or vacuum, and it can be spot cleaned and put in a washing machine, which makes it perfect for people living with pets – or kids.
- Hypoallergenic: this means it is good for people that are sensitive health-wise or are prone to allergies.
- Versatility: this material can be used for many things in the home, ranging from furniture to pet products and what I love most – microfiber blankets. It is made in a wide palette of colors and styles, which allows you can find your perfect match.
- Affordable: on top of all the wonderful features, microfiber is inexpensive and most cat owners can afford it without breaking the budget.
3. Scratch Resistant Bean Bag Chair With Microfiber Cover
The cover of this bean bag chair is microfiber which is exactly what a house with a cat needs. The cover is soft, warm, thick, very comfortable, durable, and made with great quality. Reviewers have also described it as heavy-duty.
Here is proof of how durable is the microfiber cover of this bean bag for pets (picture included).
It comes in different sizes and colors, but when considering size please note that people have said even the “small” 4′ is big (some even say huge) so it runs on the bigger side. I have chosen to display here the 5′ one as I would choose this one for myself, but do check the other sizes. There is also a 7′ lounger which looks very attractive, so depending on how much free space you have, you may choose that one.
It’s versatile: this bean bag is a perfect place for naps, relaxing, watching movies, gaming, and reading a book – in one word there are many ways that you can enjoy it. Many have stated that they love sleeping in it because it is so comfortable and soft, heaven-like. You can even put it in your home office for creativity boosting. Perfect for additional casual seating.
Your cat will also enjoy this bean bag very much, it will make your cat very happy or in some cases even obsessed with the bean bag. So this cat-resistant bean bag doubles as a cat bed too, check this hilarious situation with an image included 🙂
It’s perfect for pets and kids, and especially for those that are restless as the bean bag will customize according to the individual using it. It is definitely one of the most comfortable pieces of furniture that you can have at home.
Important: when the bag arrives it will be compressed, and it is crucial that you read and follow the instructions, the bag will need 4-5 days to expand the memory foam inside and you should not use it during this time if you want to have the full fluffiness of it.
Here are some tips that would be helpful if you decide to get this bean bag:
- It will arrive in a package as a compressed cube, which, once opened, will start to expand quickly, so before opening the package get it to its final destination and then open it
- It’s best that you rearrange it and re-fluff it from time to time to reshape it if it’s worn down from the same sitting position
- The bag has double zippers for maximum stability and safety reasons, the first one has a pull, and the second does not but you can use a paperclip to easily open the second one
- The box and the bean bag itself are heavy and the cover does not have handles – so be aware of this fact
And here are the flaws of this bean bag:
- The biggest inconvenience, especially for pet owners is that there is no inner bag to contain the memory foam, which means it will be difficult to remove and wash the microfiber cover due to the inner beans spilling out of the main cover. But there is a solution for that: you can get a separate bag to put the foam pieces in, some people have bought an additional twin mattress waterproof enclosed cover (this is a cheap one) or a zippered duvet cover.
- The cover is not waterproof but you can use the above solution for getting a waterproof mattress cover. Another thing you can do is put an extra waterproof blanket for cats on top of the bean bag.
Overall people have been very satisfied with this oversized cat-proof bean bag, it is comfy, and looks nice, and considering all the benefits and the affordable price I would highly recommend it for people with cats.
4. Bean Bag Chair And Bed With Removable Cover – Perfect For Cat Owners
The best thing about this bean bag is that it has even 2 outer covers (one is a protector for the bed and the other is a bean bag cover) and this means easy washing and easy maintenance, especially for people with pets.
As you can see this is two products in one, a bed and a bean bag, but in reality, you will probably use it only as one (people are lazy by nature) but it’s good to know that you have the extra functionality in case you need it. The bean bag cover can also serve as storage for other blankets and pillows.
In terms of a cat-proof bean bag here are the qualities of this product:
- Pets have loved it and there are many pictures as proof where you can see how the cat has used the bean bag as a sleeping place and not as a scratching post, dogs are also included. Some cats preferred this bean bag over their own cat bed.
- Durable: it has withstood various activities and visitors, including toddlers, pets, and overnight guests.
- It’s a great replacement for an air mattress or inflatable bed which the cat claws can puncture and destroy.
- The bean bag chair has a soft and high-quality cover that is comfortable to sit on, and some customers have used the bean bed as extra padding on their beds due to its softness
- Removable and washable cover – a huge advantage for households with pets
- It’s firmer than the typical bean bag so it holds its shape better and supports you better
- The covers are not waterproof but you can get a cheap waterproof mattress cover to easily solve this issue
5. An Interesting Alternative for Cat-Friendly Bean Bag Chair
If you want something more sturdy than a bean bag but still a floor chair then I found this interesting alternative to bean bag chair:
- The chair is made of soft and durable material and the cotton fabric cover is easy to clean
- It is great looking and more stylish/elegant than a bean bag and it is for people that like a clean look in their home
- It is more sturdy than a bean bag and easier to adjust (no readjusting foam pieces) so if you like things with less hassle then this is a good choice for you
- The chair is comfortable and provides good support
- It’s easy to move and adjust
- It can recline and the reclining settings are sturdy and easy to set
- The foam holds well over time
- The quality of the chair is good
- The chair is not waterproof, but it’s easy to clean
- It offers great value for the price, and the price is reasonable compared to other lounge chairs/bean bags on the market
6. Additional Accessories (Bean Bag Refill)
I am including separate bean bag refill that you can get, as depending on your preferences you may want an extra filling, the experiences on this are divided, some wanted an extra refill while others are satisfied with the initial filling of the bean bags:
Greetings from my plush queen 🙂