This post may contain affiliate links for products I recommend, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This does not change the price you would pay.
If you are a cat owner then you know that you have to deal with a lot of cat hair, especially in the shedding season or if you have a long-haired cat.
The amount of cat hair is always piling up, even on a daily basis, and you have to keep cleaning it – which can be quite exhausting and tiring over time.
For me personally, it’s the sheer boredom of the cat hair cleaning, and the repetitiveness of the tasks, but you have to admit nothing beats the feeling of sitting in a clean home. It definitely feels like a holiday when your house is clean.
Since cleaning after your cat is inevitable, my first suggestion would be to get some entertainment for your brain while cleaning: either listen to some music or get an Amazon Audible membership so that you can listen to some books while cleaning and make the process itself more fun. This is to give you an incentive to begin cleaning as starting is the hardest step.
So to keep your home cat hair free, besides cleaning, you can take some steps (as much as possible) for preventing cat hair to spread around. Below I will focus on the best ways to keep cat hair off the bed.
I don’t know about you but for me, it is unimaginable not to let my cat on my bed. Those cuddles and purrs when I am all relaxed and sleepy are priceless. Well, actually there is a price that needs to be paid and that is cat hair on the bed.
Cat hair on the bed can have negative effects on you, even if you are not quite aware of it, like allergies, and skin irritation which can lead to poor sleep, for outdoor cats it can be dirt or even parasites, you can ingest cat hair, odors… So you can see why it is good to reduce cat hair as much as possible and maintain a clean and comfortable sleeping environment.
Regular Grooming Is Essential for Keeping Pet Hair Off Bed
It is actually shocking how much hair you can get from your cat in just one grooming session, and in the shedding season, it is mind-blowing (I believe my cat covered my whole carpet with fur this year!).
Now if you don’t practice regular grooming (or are sometimes lazy like me) you can imagine how all that hair, instead of throwing it away, is being spread all over your bed, carpet, and air.
As wise men say, it is always better to prevent something than to suffer the consequences, so if you want a cat hair-free bed just find a small time slot in your day to groom your cat. You can groom your cat in just minutes (so there are really no excuses), but if you want it can be a great petting and cuddling time for you and your cat. Your cat will definitely enjoy it and it’s a great way to make that bond with your cat stronger. I always hug her and kiss my Puffy during the grooming session so she also receives a lot of love from me.
This is a bit off-topic, but I once read about a woman who hung cat hair for birds to take them and make soft nests. What a wonderful, thoughtful idea, which you can also practice if have a yard or a place to put the cat hair for birds to use it. Just watch your cat not to catch those birds.
And when you put your face on your cat you won’t have to spend half an hour getting rid of all the cat hair stuck to it 🙂
Not to mention that when you switch bedding it will not be covered in cat hair the same second you start stretching it over the mattress:
(my Puffy is wild playing with fresh clean sheets, the blur is from her moving too fast)
By regular grooming not only will you keep your environment healthy and clean but you will also help your cat stay healthy: those fur balls that cats gather in their stomach will reduce (I just hate it when she throws them on my always freshly washed rugs).
Besides grooming sessions, I would also recommend an air purifier that can pull pet hair from the air, contributing to an even cleaner room:
Best Purifier For Cat Hair
- The Levoit pet air purifier is highly recommended for cat or pet owners due to its ability to keep the air quality high and reduce dust, dander, and cat hair
- Let me emphasize how highly effective it is in removing cat hair from the home
- It is very versatile and can be used for various reasons, as it can work with 4 different filters: filter for pets, for absorbing toxins, for removing smoke, and the original filter it comes with
- It effectively filters out odors, especially when placed near litter boxes or areas with strong smells.
- I love having white noise while falling asleep and if you are like me, this device is perfect for you as the noise it produces resembles white noise. Some people have even deliberately placed it in their bedroom, especially for the white noise
- Gives significant relief from
- If you live in a polluted area you know that having an air purifier is a total necessity. My city is very polluted in winter and an air purifier makes such a difference in breathing, I myself felt like some weight has been lifted off my chest after I got one. As this air purifier has received praise for its effectiveness in removing allergens, smoke, and other particles from the air, it is suitable for those living in areas with poor air quality
- It’s a great solution for homes with smokers, heavy cookers, or nearby sources of smoke, as it helps clear the air and reduce odor.
- This air purifier has a compact size and quiet operation, especially on the lowest fan setting of the device, making it suitable for use in various rooms.
- It looks so stylish, a nice match to the design in every home
- It has a timer function and an auto mode so you can simply turn it on and just let it work its magic, in other words, set it and forget it
- It can handle small to medium-sized spaces effectively
- Regular filter cleaning and replacement are necessary for optimal performance.
- Users have found the product to be durable and reliable, which will justify your investment to have a cleaner and fresher home
- Silent and invisible: The purifier has a feature to turn off the glowing light, making the room completely dark at night, and a sleep mode when the device runs quietly, making it unobtrusive during use.
- It is easy to install and use, with some models even having app connectivity for remote control.
- It is quite affordable, so even if you are on a budget you can still get it
From the above you can see how many positive features this air purifier has, IMHO every cat owner should have one at home, it simply makes life easier and lets us enjoy more the good sides of having a cat.
Invest in a Quality Cat Bed
Although most of the time cats like sleeping near us (my Puffy loves sleeping on my legs while I work) or love places that we use most of the time (like my working chair), they do need a separate place for themselves.
My cat falls asleep every night beside my bed, not in my bed. This means that if you give your cat its own place, it will use it instead of your bed, which will result in less cat hair on your bed.
My experience has shown that if you have a cat, for your bedroom, it is best that you get a quality cat bed and put it beside or near your bed. This way your cat will not use your bed, as often 🙂 , it will be still near you and you will both have independence but be close to each other.
If you add a little training to this to create a habit in your cat of sleeping in its own cat bed, you can be sure that your cat will follow this habit for the rest of its life. Cats love habits and routines.
By giving your cat its own cozy, designated sleeping bed you will minimize the chances of your cat shedding on your bed.
Let me share my experience on what kind of bed cats like most, I think you’ll be surprised.
Use Cat Proof Bedding
When you have a cat at home it is wise to choose materials for your bedding that are cat hair-proof, as much as it is possible.
Fortunately, there are materials that will not attract and retain cat hair as much as others and I have researched them and created a collection of them in this post about cat hair resistant bedding. I believe this is useful info for every cat owner as we all want to minimize the effort of keeping a clean house with cats.
Another thing that helps with cat hair when the sheets are still too clean for washing is shaking the bed sheets through your window or balcony, so easy handling bed sheets and washable bed sheets are things to look for when buying them.
Covering your bed when you are not using it is also a good way to protect it from cat hair. You can use cat hair resistant blankets or blankets that are specially made for protection from pets.
Implement a Regular Cleaning Routine
We all know that regular cleaning is so important in keeping a clean home, spending less time cleaning, and being at peace with yourself and your environment. But this is more easily said than done 🙂
I am writing this while gathering strength to finally vacuum my cat hair covered carpet. Obviously vacuuming your bedroom, especially if it has carpet in it is an important step in preventing cat hair from flying everywhere and ending up on your bed.
Vacuuming is something that you can’t avoid no matter how boring it is, and in the shedding season, which happens twice a year, you need to vacuum even harder.
As vacuuming is so important and something that needs to be repeated frequently having a good vacuum is crucial. So for vacuuming cat hair, I would recommend this product below:
First of all, this is a very pet-friendly company since with every purchase you contribute to rescuing homeless pets, so from the very start this vacuum is designed with pets in mind.
Another thing I would like to mention is the price of this vacuum which is very affordable and even those on a budget can allow themselves to buy it. The vacuum itself is very effective as you will read below.
Just a little note before I start, this vacuum has SO many positive reviews on excellent performance that it was really hard to pick which ones to include and I had to restrain myself from putting too many links to reviews.
- Amazing Pet Hair Removal: If you have cats/dogs and are tired of dealing with their shedding, the Bissell 2252 vacuum is tailored to effectively handle pet hair and mess, also check here how it handles a lot of hair in the home.
- Powerful Suction: With strong suction, the vacuum picks up pet hair, debris, and dust, even from hard-to-reach places, leaving your home much cleaner. People have described it as surprising how much hidden hair and dirt it collects. It is actually crazy how much people having pets are satisfied with this vacuum.
- Large Canister and Cord Length: With a spacious canister, you won’t need to empty it as frequently, and the long cord reduces the need to constantly unplug and replug during cleaning sessions.
- Versatile for Different Surfaces: Easily adjustable settings allow you to vacuum shag area rugs, carpets, tiles and hardwood floors without having to switch between different machines.
- Effective Pet Tool Attachment: The included Pet TurboEraser tool works wonders on pet beds and furniture/upholstery and stairs, ensuring your home stays fur-free.
- Support for Animal Welfare: Purchasing this vacuum also supports the Bissell Pet Foundation, which is an added bonus if you’re an animal lover.
- No More Hair Wrapped Around Rollers: Unlike other vacuums, this one effectively handles long hair, preventing the hassle of hair wrapping around rollers and blocking suction.
- Durable and Reliable: Bissell’s reputation for quality and performance is showcased in this vacuum, as it outperforms more expensive brands and provides a heavy-duty cleaning experience.
- Time-Saving and Effective: The vacuum’s efficiency significantly reduces the time needed for cleaning tasks, allowing you to spend less time vacuuming and more time enjoying your clean space with your family and cat.
- Easy to Clean and Maintain: The vacuum’s design allows for simple maintenance, making it hassle-free to keep the machine in top condition.
- Affordable Choice: The Bissell 2252 offers great value for its price, making it an accessible option for cat owners seeking a high-performance vacuum.
- Effective for Multi-Pet Homes: If you have multiple cats and other pets, this vacuum’s powerful cleaning capabilities are up to the task of keeping your home fur-free and clean.
- Effortless Operation: The vacuum’s ease of use, lightweight design, and efficient attachments make cleaning up after your pets a breeze. Suitable for those without back issues.
- Improved Air Quality: By effectively removing pet hair and allergens, the vacuum contributes to better indoor air quality, particularly important for pet owners with allergies.
- Long-Lasting Investment: Many users have praised the durability and longevity of Bissell vacuums, making this a solid investment for the long run.
- Easy assembly and user-friendly design with practical attachments
- Great for Preventing Allergies: this vacuum’s strong suction can help reduce allergens like pet dander, making the living environment healthier.
- Easy Maintenance: Emptying the dust chamber is a breeze, and the vacuum’s design minimizes clogs, making maintenance really easy.
- Great for Deep Cleaning: The vacuum’s triple action brush roll and attachments help you reach deep into corners, upholstery, and even cat trees to get rid of hidden hair and dirt.
There is something to consider when buying this vacuum though: it is the weight and the size of the vacuum as it is big and heavy so you need to plan accordingly for storage.
As you can see this is an amazing vacuum, highly efficient for pet owners, with an exceptional performance on carpets and hardwood, ideal for households with multiple pets and shedding animals, and a great choice if you are on a budget. I honestly believe that you will not regret getting this vacuum but on the contrary, be very happy with it!
Place Cat-Friendly Furniture Nearby
To reduce cat hair on the bed it is good to set up a cat tree in your bedroom so that your cat will spend time on it rather than on your bed.
If you have windows in your bedroom then a cat tree by the window will be an ideal position. Your cat will love looking through the window and will be naturally attracted to sitting there.
Here you can find the best cat trees suitable for a small space (as I consider a bedroom to be a small space).
Restrict Acces To Your Bedroom As An Extreme Solution
As the very last resort, you can forbid access to your bedroom to your cat. You will have to have an iron will but if you absolutely can’t stand cat hair on your bed and in your bedroom then this is the most successful option.
This is probably best done by training your cat as a small kitten.
I wish you good luck with this restriction, I myself could never do it, my cat is just irresistible to me and I can not imagine not sleeping with my sweet, warm. furry baby. I’d rather have cat hair everywhere!
A freshly washed blanket on the bed is the best spot to jump on and claim it with some fur on! 🙂
This is my cutest live doll – my cat Puffy, a part of my soul…